Why I'm out of the Nikon 1 system

Started May 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Why I'm out of the Nikon 1 system

I've been using a V1 for just over a year and got to really like it - a lot ! I initially got it with the 10-30mm kit-lens only, and later added the FT-1 adaptor.

What I noticed was that I tended to use it it in low-light situations quite a lot, and also missed a wider lens, which made me thinking about adding the 6.7-13mm lens. It was at about this time that the V3 was announced, and that obviously piqued my interest. To my surprise I noted that Nikon South Africa did not announce the V3 here, and I queried them about this. The sad news came that the V3 will not be released here, and that in fact no new N1 products will be released here. This was obviously a great disappointment to me.

Nikon SA did however say that they are happy to import, sell, and support any N1 product that I might require - but only as a special import item. Although this sounds promising, it also meant that there will be no discount, and that everything will be very expensive - none of which was good news to me.

So when a good friend of mine offered to buy my V1 kit I decided to sell it. I have to admit that it was quite a sad experience for me since I've grown very attached to my V1. I immediately started looking for something similar in  size to the V1 which will offer at least the same, or better low-light performance, and for which I can get lenses and accessories without having to do a special import.

I have now bought myself the Oly OMD EM10 kit and will add the Oly 9-18 UWA (hopefully) soon. Although it seems to fill the void left by the V1 quite admirably, and has some features and capabilities absent from the V1, I still believe the Nikon 1 system to be greatly underrated and I will miss it for quite some time.

What a shame that Nikon decided to limit availability of this system !

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow