Have you pre-ordered the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART?

Started May 8, 2014 | Polls thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
Re: Yes, I pre-ordered the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART?

designdog wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

Yes, I pre-ordered one, but I'm somewhat conflicted.

My favorite "character" lens is the 85mm 1.4G. Unfortunately, there have been too many occasions recently where I have just run out of space trying to get a group shot. So, I need a lens that is a bit wider that, hopefully has good bokeh. I can't afford the 58mm and I'd like to have those 8 additional mm of width. Maybe if were $500-$600 I'd consider it, but not at that price level.

I have the 50mm 1.8G, which I've started using again. Frankly, its bokeh isn't bad. If the Sigma has better bokeh wide open and doesn't trail the 85mm 1.4G too much, then it will be a keeper for me.

You may want to look at the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 II. Yes, manual focus, but a truly excellent lens. One of the few that Lloyd Chambers agree works with the D800...

Okay, I've cancelled my orders (I had orders placed at two on-line stores). After hiking around the island of Kauai with the Sigma 24-105mm, I decided that I didn't need a lens that heavy or that expensive unless it met a significant unmet need.  It doesn't so, I'll keep my $950.

Others have recommended the Vogtlander 58mm. I'd prefer AF, but if it's good enough, I might consider it.

Thanks

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow