Computer for 4K editing?

Started May 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
james b norman Senior Member • Posts: 2,094
Computer for 4K editing?

The prevailing wisdom for computer system requirements for editing 4k video files seems to be something on the order of Core i7 quad-core, 8-16gb ram,  a 2gb dedicated graphics card, and either SSD or 7200 rpm hdd.  this is equivalent to the current crop of high-end gaming computers, or top-end MBP 15.6", and cost is high.  no smallish laptops seem able to supply such credentials.

however, lately, I have been reading posts from various folks who are having success using much less powerful systems - core i5 dual-core, intel graphics, 4-6gb ram, etc.  I am certain these systems are much slower to render output than higher-spec'ed systems, but I do not mind longish rendering times, if I can save hundreds of dollars on the computer.

specifically, I want a laptop form factor, and would like to stick with 13-14" FHD display.  so far, I have found sager and razer blade machines that are spec'ed well, but would rather stick to Lenovo, sony, or perhaps a MBA or 13" MBP (which only seems to have intel 4400 or iris graphics.)

since I  know many of you are already now shooting with the new GH4 (mine is still on backorder), I would appreciate knowing what you are editing with, and what your personal opinion is regarding what the basic system requirements actually are.

-- hide signature --

sunridge studios
salem, oregon
Panasonic GH4, Vario 7-14mm f/4
Cambo 45NX, nikkor SW 90/8, 135/5.6, 210/5.6
Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 (1948 model)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow