1d4 auto focus disapointment.

Started May 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
rbarta Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: 1d4 auto focus disapointment.

It could be that you do not have 1st image set to focus priority.

"C.Fn III-3, 'AI Servo 1st/2nd img priority' determines the relative priority of the following four functions of the camera:

• acquiring focus on your subject ('auto-focus priority')
  • continuing to focus on a previously focused subject ('Tracking priority')
  • shooting speed, in frames per second ('Drive speed priority')
  • taking each image in a burst as quickly as possible ('Release')

The default setting of '0: auto-focus priority/Tracking priority' prioritises focus acquisition and tracking over the other camera functions; in other words, accuracy over speed. As a wildlife and nature photographer, I can't think of a situation where I would be willing to sacrifice focusing accuracy for speed, so I doubt I will ever need to use the other settings (they may be useful to photojournalists when they only have a moment to react, so getting any kind of shot is the priority)." - http://www.naturephotohub.com/articles.html/_/nature-photography-tutorials/canon-eos-1d-mark-iv-custom-functions-guide-r41

With the 1DX you set the 1st image and subsequent image focus/shutter priority separately. I set both of mine to the highest level of focus priority. If you saved a C1-3 on the 1DX and then changed this in your Av/M/etc, you still must go back to each C1-3, change it and then save.

Good luck.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow