Is There Life After CCD And The D200? Locked

Started May 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,541
Is There Life After CCD And The D200?

I have become a confirmed old (relic?) camera fan.

I bought a D200 last year after reading posts from JIMoyer and StaceyK, even though I didn't really agree with what they claimed they saw.  Maybe it was just the samples they showed?

Anyway, I use it all the time in my regular, often twice weekly, rostered shoot.  It's a low light venue and when using AutoISO as I now do (thankyou Nikon for making it work very well!) most shots are at maximum revs of ISO1600.

I shoot RAW+ and throw away the JPEGs.  Well, I actually download the best of them to the server, but then also copy over the best shots that I massage from RAW.  That only takes me about 30 seconds each using Silkypix.  Most of the ISO1600 shots also get a 1EV lift in processing.  Whew - is that pushing it or what??

It helps having a couple of D type f1.8 primes, the 50 and the 85 which I shoot at f2.0. However, without a doubt the pics from my D700 are better, far better in some respects, but I got complaints about the machine gun rattle as I fired away, hence the D200.

Anyway, I also get bored with cameras after a while.  Having a different lens or two helps, but there is only so much a sensor can do.  In my hands, anyway.

So I won a 2008 CCD APS-C DSLR last week.  I was hoping it would turn up before the weekend so that I could put it to the test.  It didn't.

I already have several lenses I can use, it runs to ISO1600 like the D200 but, according to DXOMark, its image quality is at least 30% better when using similar quality primes.  That surprised me!

I'll give a report once I get it and can shoot my DR test range back-to-back with the D200.

PS  It's not a Nikon

-- hide signature --

Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at:

Nikon D200 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow