How is this done?

Started May 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mark K W Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: What is GMIC?

Glen Barrington wrote:

newmikey wrote:

GMIC does this type of rendering.

That's a new acronym for me

G'MIC is this GreyC's Magic for Image Computing (quite a lot of info on that main site, but there are also forums and G+ groups to follow). I think it is siimilar mathematical framework to Adobe's Pixel Bender project - which is now defunct, but yielded the Oil Paint I think was actually used on the OP's images as just one installable filter operation-set, and that is what is in Photoshop CS6 and CC. Photoshop CC seems now also to be getting more powerful pattern generation, so perhaps that is a sign of some reincarnation of Adobe's direction G'MIC wise.

Both G'MIC and Pixel Bender use mathematical decomposition and re-composition effects to the image pixels - so they start with a raster image, and then mathematically manipulate the pixels, including shifting locations to create swirls, strokes, smoothing and many other effects.

G'MIC is very very powerful, and I think most that use it use it as plugin to GIMP. Filter lists can be found here (and I think other places). There's many many many filters - so it really got going with community support much more than Pixel Bender. There is a slide set also at the main site which shows many filter examples. It has filters like Rodilius - which is very similar to Fractalius.

I do not use G'MIC (too busy learning other things, and I am not GIMP user either), but am following what is going on as it might be something I experiment with later. I do not believe there is a port of G'MIC into the Photoshop environment, though I would presume there would be a reasonably strong demand for it - but G'MIC is coming from open-source so it's kind of unlikely the G'MIC developers themselves would do it.

Mark W.
http://500px.com/Mark_Wycherley

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow