Thoughts on the GX7 & E-M10

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Thoughts on tour groups/guides

xand83 wrote:

Trip update. The time spent on the boat (Ruby Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel) was quite nice. Very relaxing compared to boats we've sailed in the past. Having a mini-suite with a big balcony felt pretty fancy. However, the stops were completely wasted.

The tour guide was obviously very knowledgeable, but it felt like he verbally abused us for 4 hours.

We only had about an hour to tour the ruins and, by that point, we just wanted to leave. I would actually love to go back to Tulum, just without a tour group and without the Disney World-size crowds.

Yes, take it as a lesson learned, I guess.

I am a very experienced backpacker (more than 70 countries in the past decade alone) and I avoid tours and guides wherever possible.

There's nothing worse than having some idiot yapping in your ear while you're trying to immerse yourself in your surroundings, and I also dislike the lack of freedom associated with travelling in a group.

I do make exceptions in some circumstances - most recently, I did several African safaris as part of a tour, and I did a 3-day package tour to Halong Bay in Vietnam. On both occasions, I would have preferred to have travelled independently but it was simply easier to do it through tour agencies.

I spent a few days at Tulum a few years ago. I remember the white-sand beach being stunning - one of the nicest I've ever seen. The ruins, not so much.

I like this shot of yours:

Rusty.

Ruby Princess zoomed-in

Ruby Princess zoomed-out

These are the shots one takes when actual shots are in the other hand ;D

A Mayan man. Or something.

The ruins in Tulum

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow