Thoughts on the GX7 & E-M10

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,430
Re: I prefer the GX7 to the E-M10

xand83 wrote:

I probably won't change your mind about the E-M10, but the accessory grip helps out a good deal. I bought it before my trip to Mexico. Also, that trip was a total picture bust. We were only at the Mayan ruins for about 1 hour and all I wanted to do was leave (the joys/miseries of tour groups).

I have a GF3, so having little-to-no grip isn't the end of the world. I bet the GM1 is a nice little camera. Especially with the IQ of the GX7.

Here's the E-M10 with the accessory grip. Still pretty happy with the camera. I'm looking to get a new general purpose zoom lens. The 14-42 II is a super-compact and takes nice pictures, but the handling drives me crazy. That tiny lens cap is awful and I can't get used to the lock button "feature." I'm thinking of picking up a cheap 12-50 as a replacement. Would love to get the 12-40, but that's still pretty pricey.

I would suggest checking out a Panasonic 14-42 II. It's a very compact lens, with very good IQ and ergonomics. A nice feature is that it is most compact at 25mm (vs. 14mm like most of the kit zooms), and therefore only extends about 5mm or so when going to either 14mm or 42mm. You can pick them up for roughly $125 with some looking around.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow