SH-50 - 6 months later

Started May 8, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 13,961
SH-50 - 6 months later

Good Points: On the January 6-day Morris Tour I took on average 1 hour and a half of video plus stills each day, which needed 2 charged batteries each day (SZ-30MR the year before needed 3 charged batteries to finish the day). The 5-axis Image Stabilisation on flight and dance videos was highly appreciated. The annual radio club lecturer Gary Bold ZL1AN commented that my video had the best video AND audio quality compared to previous years. Post-processing on videos and stills is less than with previous models. AVS Video Converter video rendering times are reduced. Moon shots have more detail WITHOUT the use of a tele-converter. The SH-50 has sailed through various rain squalls without anything sticking afterwards. Manual ISO/shutter/aperture settings also permit setting the White Balance (On the SZ-30MR a 2 second exposure requires the Fireworks SCENE mode, which disables WB setting manually). Custom White Balance often works in situations where WB AUTO has given up.

Drawbacks: Gannets in flight require zooming out to get them in the first place, with 5 MP crops later. I really should get a ClearViewer attachment. In landscapes, distant foliage detail is still destroyed by the in-camera processing (though less pronounced than in the SZ-30MR).

Overall: The SH-50 is the best general purpose pocket P&S I ever had. Sandra loves it that she can have videos and stills within it for her parties, so I am not annoying her guests with repeat takes.

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Olympus SH-50
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 25 – 600 mm (24×)
Announced: Jan 8, 2013
Henry Falkner's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Olympus SH-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow