Great performer in a small package

Started May 7, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
eriknphoto Regular Member • Posts: 110
Great performer in a small package

Really great camera. The sensor delivers sharp and detailed RAW files, and noise levels are surprisingly low even up to ISO 3200.

Very fast and accurate auto focus, and manual focusing aids like focus peaking and focus magnification makes it really easy to get focus right. Continuos shooting speeds are very impressive with 11 fps, with AF.

Good customization options, but I would like at least one more custom function button with all the features that can be assigned to them.

Battery life is not great as usual with mirrorless cameras, but it's average. I recommend getting at least one extra battery. Charging times is slow in camera, with a full charge taking just over 5 hours, and no real charger is included. With the optional BC-TRW the charging time goes down to a still fairly slow 3 hours.

Auto ISO allows for selection of min and max ISO, which is great. You can't set a minimum shutter speed though, which seems like a weird overlook for a camera that is advertised for it's fast AF and action capabilities. You can't use bracketing and timer simultaneously either.

The sensor is amazingly good. There is lots of detail and dynamic range, and I find that I can easily crop photos without losing too much sharpness. Shadows can be lifted from nearly black, and there is a lot of highlight detail as well. Files are fairly clean even at ISO 3200.

Best of all? It will fit in a large pocket with something like the SEL20F28 pancake lens on.

Sony a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
eriknphoto's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow