Slimy quality problem in Canon 70-200 lens

Started May 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ARShutterbug
ARShutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 8,989
Slimy quality problem in Canon 70-200 lens

I use a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM UD FT-M DW-R for sports.  This lens has been great, but on today's warm and sunny afternoon it really disappointed me.  I picked it up at an event today and noticed a rough-textured spot through the viewfinder, down on the lower part of the view.  I'd swear that the spot had an eyeball that was staring back at me, but it was very blurry.

I tried every combination of settings, but nothing worked.  At times, the spot would get bigger, covering most of the view.  The spot was different shades of brown, and it seemed to change shape as I changed settings!  Sometimes the lens refused to focus at all.  I let the lens hang for a few moments and then tried again, and it seemed fine, but when I put the lens down on the ground and picked it up again later, the gigantic brown spot came back!

I just can't understand this.  I've never seen a lens that was this bad.  I expected consistently-sharp results, but the results today were what I'd call slimy!  There was also a sound like something jumping around inside the lens as I zoomed in and out, and the front of the lens felt heavier than usual.

I thought that "L" was the best, but the lens quality leaves a lot to be desired!  Is this normal for anyone else?

Can anyone guess what could be the problem?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow