Started May 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
Pete_CSCS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
Thanks Bob...

Bob Sal wrote:

Pete_CSCS wrote:

Klarno wrote:

Pete_CSCS wrote:

Klarno wrote:

I use a screw-in filter (Tiffen HT grad ND 0.6, the only screw-in grad that's both multicoated and glass).

The Heliopan grads are made in Germany from Schott glass and most of their filters use a 16 layer coating. They also use the black anodized brass frames like B+W (Schneider) filters.

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Heliopan's website lists the ND grad as being plastic.

... what the Heliopan screw-in was made out of but the websites that I found selling it weren't listing that information. I thought at that list price it would be glass.

The rectangular one they make is made out of glass at least.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Stay Well,
Pete K.

You are partly right. All screw-in Heliopan grads are made from acrylic.

Today's rectangular Heliopan grads are also acrylic.

Up until about 8 or 10 years ago Heliopan did make 1, 2 and 3 stop glass grads that were air brushed and then sealed in glass. Unfortunately the man that made these grads died and no one had been trained to replace him and Heliopan discontinued the glass grads. You can still see one here:

http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=197

it is the last one we have.

Heliopan made these in both 4" and 3" widths. They required a special Heliopan holder as they were too thick to fit the holders on the market today.

... it's always good to have an inside source contributing info to the forums. The Kodak Talk forum use to have a Kodak rep interject from time to time to clean up confusion or answer questions. Some (on the forum) are open about it while others remain undercover so few know what they actually do for a living.

In past years some camera execs have confided with a few of us they trusted. It's always fun for us enthusiasts on the outside of the circle to know when a new camera (e.g.) is coming out before it does and what it will be like.  

-- hide signature --

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow