Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Started May 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
Pete_CSCS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
What some do is...

... use a rectangular grad (Lee or Cokin e.g.) without the holder (you said you want to lose the bulk) by holding it against the rim of the lens front. Or you can tape it there. This way you can slide it up or down to meet the horizon whatever way you frame your image. And you saved the expense of the holder... and the extra bulk... and a big enough filter can be used for multiple lenses unlike screw-ins - now you saved even more money... and no filter frame to vignette which some screw-ins can cause.

The problem with screw-ins is the inability to move the filter's graduation to meet the horizon especially if you use the rule of thirds.

I was looking into getting a grad for the 12-40mm a few months ago.  The best screw-in grad filter I found was the Heliopan which uses Schott (Zeiss) glass, is available in 1, 2 or 3 stop versions and goes for around $100.

I decided not to buy it yet.  Bought a good CP in the meantime.  Will buy a Lee grad eventually.

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow