Lumix GX7, does Panasonic in-lens stabilization work for video?

Started May 6, 2014 | Questions thread
chad515 Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Lumix GX7, does Panasonic in-lens stabilization work for video?

thornhale wrote:

chad515 wrote:

40daystogo wrote:

Reading the Lumix GX7 reviews, much emphasis of the weakness that the GX7's IBIS in-camera stabilization does not work when making videos.

My question is, if I'm using a Panasonic lens that has in-lens stabilization, such as the kit lens, does the in-lens stablizer work while making videos?

Yes, lens stabilization works for video. Just not IBIS. I believe the theory is that the simple sensor-shift IBIS of the GX7 and Olympus cameras other than the E-M5, E-P5, E-M1, and E-M10 generates too much heat when active to leave active during video recording. But that doesn't affect IS built into lenses, so those still work in video.

You are right for the GX7. But I do believe that E-M10 does do IBIS for videos as well as can be seen here:

Right. As I said, no IBIS in video in cameras other than the E-M5, E-P5, E-M1, and E-M10. Those cameras all have better IBIS that will work in video. Note that the E-M10 is a funny one, though, as it's IBIS is less than the others in the list. Olympus has stated that it uses a hybrid stabilization technology in video, where it uses a little bit of IBIS combined with a little bit of digital stabilization (stabilization applied in software by cropping a bit and trying to fit frames to one another).

As has been stated in other threads, the GX7 will wipe the floor with all the Olympus cameras in the areas of video control, codec support, supported frame rates, and more. But the Olympus cameras have the advantage of IBIS if you're using non-stabilized lenses.

chad515's gear list:chad515's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow