Canon 7D is 4 years and 8 months old this is not good for Canon

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
RobertoAvanzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,003
Re: Not a reasonable comparison

meland wrote:

Loren Charif wrote:

meland wrote:

Why declare it dead and thus create a self fulfilling prophesy? Better to say nothing surely and let it do whatever it will do. Certainly while the 7D is still selling.

Actually, if it is dead, it would be in Canon's interest to say so; that would spur those 7D owners hoping for a MkII to make the move to something else, bit 70D, 5DIII, or 1DX, which would provide an almost immediate boost in sales (which, based on their recent performance, they could certainly use!). By not saying anything, those current owners are just sitting on their upgrade cash.

By saying the 7D is dead some of those existing users sitting on their upgrade cash might switch to something non-Canon. That certainly doesn't benefit Canon.

How many are there, that sit on some upgrade cash and "need" to spend it? Are we reduced to be just dumb consumers, that instead of using reliable tools, as soon as we have the money we need to burn it?

I think the analysis that Canon is doing is more refined that the analysis an amateur economist (including myself) might do. They know how long they have to wait, and it is best to wait longer in order to get a higher ROI from the technology deployed.
A lot of people say "I will switch to another brand" but usually this also requires selling lenses. Depending on the investment, this may not be very easy, and purchasing into another system will be much more expensive than just the price of the new camera.

People that have just one lens - or maybe two - are usually customers that purchase lower end cameras. These need to be upgraded very often, to lure them into buying a new toy they do not know how to use, except for boasting about the current MP count.

It may be me, but I just cannot picture myself a 7D buyer with just one single kit lens, or maybe two lenses.

But, photographers with a significant investment in lenses will then end to stick with one brand. For those of them that have a 7D, the camera is still serving them well, and if most lenses are EF, the cost of picking a 5D mark III will not be significant.  If they have some important EF-S lenses, they may wait, or buy a new lens, or may even switch to a 5D mark III if they do not have to repurchase/swap many lenses, and it may cost less than going Nikon or SONY.
I think that the folks here that say "I have a 10D, 20D, 40D, 60D, 7D and now I am disappointed that Canon has given us a 70D but not a 7D mark II" are a bit out of touch with reality and should start taking pictures with their cameras

best

Roberto

RobertoAvanzi's gear list:RobertoAvanzi's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow