Nervous About Purchase - Help?!

Started May 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
JayBee604 New Member • Posts: 7
Nervous About Purchase - Help?!

So a little background. I have a my regular career in IT which I went to university for and then I have my photography business on the side. This business is more or less a hobby which I make some cash doing a paid job or two a year, so not alot. I've been into photograhy for over 15 years but never had the $$ to buy a camera until a few years ago when I bought a t3i when it came out.

I'm more a hobbiest then a professional. I do a lot of landscape photography and a lot of portrait photograghy, some wedding photography. Most of which i've done for free for my portfolio or to sharpen my skills. I stated that I don't want to shoot weddings but I find that's where all my income has been coming from re: photography. I want to learn more on the business side of photography, sell my work or services and make a real career (or atleast side-job) out of it eventually.

My kit consists only of this... very basic, I know. Canon T3i, (Kit lenses 18-55mm & 55-250mm), Tokina 11-16mm AT-x Pro DX, Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Nissin di866 mkII flash with some umbrellas and softboxes etc. That is my primary bag.

I have access to and use a 60D with a 24-105mm f4 L and a 70-200mm f4 L (all canon) but I don't own those, but have full access to them when ever I need.

So... I have PW MiniTT1 and TT5 on hold to be picked up in a few days but the 24-70mm 2.8 is on sale. $1999CAD ($1820 USD)... Regular price here is $2350 some places $2500. I've always wanted that lens and I will be great to use on FF when I eventually make that move (2-5yrs).

It's a decent price, but it is alot of money.. but i'm alway sketchy spending big $... I like to save rather then spend.. I have the cash to buy 10 if i wanted so it's not a money issue.

Is there any reason not to buy the lens? Will it pay off in the future? Because I have access to the other 24-105 whenever I want, do I need to own the 24-70? Should I buy a new body instead? Would buying the 6D with 24-105 f4L Kit be smarter?

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

JayBee604's gear list:JayBee604's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow