Can we have too much Dynamic Range?

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 17,269
Re: Not in my book!

meland wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'll take all you got! DR isn't about how flat and lifeless a photo can be, it is about finding the exact level of contrast that works for the photo in question. Just because I have a tool doesn't mean I have to use that tool.

The difference between a photographer and a snapshooter is control. The photographer knows how much he has, knows how to use it, and when to stop using it.

-- hide signature --

Of course. A 'photographer', assuming he is skilled and knowledgeable enough, should know.

But how about someone who is not in that bracket and is just using out of the camera JPEGs?

A camera manufacturer won't produce ugly OOC jpgs and remain a camera manufacturer for long. Just because a camera/sensor/lens combo is capable of wide DR, doesn't mean the manufacturer is obligated (or stupid enough!) to deliver dull lifeless photos.

Most manufacturers now tend to overexpose photos anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of an EV. Why? to make the jpg photos look a tad 'brighter'. The cameras are fully capable of delivering a properly exposed photo, and many can be changed to do so. The manufacturers will auto deliver the images that SELL the most cameras.

It's the same with contrast.

-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Rob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow