Fuji XT-1 and Lee Big Stopper

Started Apr 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 6,948
Re: Fuji XT-1 and Lee Big Stopper

Jil wrote:

Hi Al,

Thanks - this helps. I often wrestle with the hard/soft issue as the Lees are not cheap and in going back over my Nikon kit last night I seem to have only one hard. Probably because I perceive the softs as more forgiving and default to them when I am not sure.

Nice that Lee has gone all-in with the Seven 5 - if I can make up my mind it would be nice to save a few $$ on one of the sets.

JT

One thing to consider it that the focal length relates to the transition of a filter. 200mm with a hard edge is much softer than at 14mm, where even a soft grad filter can have a hard transition than at 200mm. This is because the bigger or narrower FOV at different FL looks through bigger or smaller part of the lens. See this article about transitions  I wrote a few years ago,

If you shoot at the shore or have straight horizons make sure you get a hard, if the horizon is often varied then you need a soft. Picking the right kit is tricky. I started with the starter kit with includes a 2-stop hard at a slight discount. I plan on adding a 2-soft and big stopped but not sure if I will go for the discount and get one of the kits for a third grad. Photo Ninja is so good with DR that I went back and played with a lot of old bracketed shots from my Nikon D300 and D200 and in many cases it can handle a single file but the less it needs to stretch things the cleaner the file.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Jil
Jil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow