A question for happy XT1 owners

Started May 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
dark13star
OP dark13star Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: A question for happy XT1 owners

Jkim,

To check for dust on the sensor, one thing you can do is go out and snap a few shots of a clear blue sky at the highest f-stop you would use and if you don't see dust, you can be satisfied.

To really inspect it though, you set ISO to 200 and f/16 or higher if you have a lens that does it. Take a photo of a plain white wall. It should be a long exposure with those settings, so move the camera around. The movement would blur any spots on the wall.

View the RAW file in LR or some other program at 1:1 and look for spots. Light Room has some tools that can help highlight them. I tend to pull the sharpening mask up and see what I can find. That is what I did for my original post here.

Generally, the dust that looks like donuts is on the glass and can be cleaned off. Dust that is under the glass shows as dense, irregular blobs.

For cleaning, I highly recommend a Rocket Blower for blowing off the sensor and a kit from Copper Hill that has both a brush for dry, static cleaning, and some pads and the paddle with Eclipse fluid for wet cleaning. You can get lots of expensive wet cleaners, but the simple way works for me.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow