Canon 7D is 4 years and 8 months old this is not good for Canon

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,171
Re: Canon 7D is 4 years and 8 months old this is not good for Canon

The 7D was one of the more successful cameras for Canon and that alone would lead one to think a repolacement is in the works.  Mine is 4+ years old and it still serves my needs perfectly. If anything I'd like more DR in a single shot but TBH I'd use it very little.  I don't need or want a lot more sensor resolution but would see 20 - 24 MP's as ideal but that's not much more than the current 18.

Certainly the 70D is a nice camera and I know there is a subtle IQ benefit at higher ISO and somewhat cleaner shadows at low ISO but when I look at this objectively and push aside the want for a new toy the output (Web or Print) from the 7D is indistinguishable from the 70D for my needs.  I don't shoot video so that begs the question why would I give up the better build, AF, buffer and customization of the 7D for a lesser camera that offers me no real IQ improvement?

The 7D was/is a very good camera as evidenced by how well it stacks up to current offerings.  I'd be more concerned if I was a Nikon shooter with a 12 MP D300S from nearly 5 years ago and the D300S was a warmed over D300 so think about how old that camera platform is.

I think this has more to do with the World economy, the decline in DSLR sales and the allocation of limited resources for development by these Japanese companies.  They put their resources into what their market research told them would sell which was economy FF but I still think there's a market for a high end crop and the cameras will eventually come.  I'd buy a 7D2 if Canon left the camera as is but put the 24 MP Sony Exmor in it because then I'd get what I consider optimum resolution vs file size and super clean shadows for expanded DR but I won't hold my breath.  I'd rather it had a new Canon sensor with a column-parallel architecture like the Exmor but that may not be possible at this time but hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow