Canon 7D is 4 years and 8 months old this is not good for Canon

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
The outfitter Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Wrong... wrong... wrong

Jerry-astro wrote:

The outfitter wrote:

Austin_Luker wrote:

The outfitter wrote:

I think it's pretty clear Canon already replaced the 7D. It's called the 6D.

this is incorrect the 6D is not a replacement for the 7D, the 6D was Canons answer to Nikon's D600/601 a cheap full frame that's missing a ton of pro features

Again, to the marketing guys, the 6D's main feature is its price point, not its spec sheet.

And to many others, the 6D's main "pro feature" is its larger sensor.

I'm not holding my breath for a 7D mk II - as much as that would be appreciated by 7D fans.

Completely off base. The 6D is in no way positioned as a replacement for the 7D, nor would it function as one. One of the key advantages of the 7D is its AF system and its extensive programmability. The 6D doesn't even come close with what is basically a refined verson of the older xxD AF system (with a much more sensitive center point). It neither has the speed nor autofocus capabilities to replace the 7D as a wildlife, birding, or sports camera, which is probably its most notable niche. Where it DOES a killer job is in portraiture and landscape photography, where high speed and response is less of an issue.

Sorry, but you can't simply look at only price point as an indicator of whether a product has been replaced. As a long time marketer (and setter of price points), there are many other capabilities that define the positioning of a camera or other complex piece of electronics. In many cases, cameras that have very different target markets will overlap in price, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. FWIW, computers work exactly the same way, with laptops and tablets overlapping in some price points, but aimed at different usages and markets.

I hear you, but the fact is that despite waiting several years, there is no 7D MkII, or D400.

Whether the camera companies hear the pleas for full-featured APS-C models or not, it's obvious they perceive the market to be shifting in two directions. There are those who are lusting after FF sensors for what they do, and those who don't need FF are looking to go smaller and lighter.

The $1,800 APS-C SLR just gets caught in the middle. Will we see its like again?

Given your computer analogy, it seems like asking for a return of the "netbook" that everyone thought was a great idea only just a few years ago. Today, we buy tablets, or fuller-featured laptops, maybe both.

The outfitter's gear list:The outfitter's gear list
Nikon D700 Pentax K-01
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow