58mm f1.4 = real bokeh improvements. But 50mm f1.8 still great value

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,745
58mm f1.4 = real bokeh improvements. But 50mm f1.8 still great value

Here's a pile of photos comparing the 50mm f1.8G and the 58mm f1.4.  The photos are (I think) all downsized to about 2400 wide end as I'm not posting these for people to pixel peep at 100% to count eyelashes.  I do see improved bokeh in the 58mm f1.4.  As a staunch supporter of the 50mm f1.8G... I see the improvement... and I even went the extra mile to post a bit of a crop of a worst case scenario to really show the improvement you can get from the 58 (last set of pics with junkyard & buildings in background).  I don't think the first 4 pics are much different.  A little better - yes.  But I don't look at the 50mm f1.8G dog pics and think "eww these photos suck look at that terrible rendering".  AND - IMO - those are relatively difficult scenes to render with lots of complex tree brances and grasses and bright to dark areas that are out of focus.

The 58mm is a really nice lens for portraits IMO.  Expensive, but nice.  I think the 50mm f1.8G is pretty darn good for non-pro's and price conscious shoppers.

I hope folks find the pics informative.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow