a6000 battery life

Started Apr 29, 2014 | Questions thread
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,293
Battery life CIPA rated, versus real-life: how much I got

Remember that battery life estimates are usually based on a CIPA rating, which performs a very specific testing parameter, usually involving shots taken at a specific interval, image review used every so often, and with some shots involving flash, cycling focus, etc.  It's considered a 'harsh' test which tries to present a worse-than-average use battery life estimate.  It's rarely an exact number.  Much depends on precisely HOW you shoot - what settings you have, how often you are firing in succession, whether you leave the camera on or turn off in between, what focus modes, what viewing source (EVF or LCD), and so on.  Typically, on my every-day vacation shooting and casual mixed shooting, I do a bit better than the CIPA rating - my NEX-5N was rated over 400 shots, but I could usually pull 550 or so out of a battery.  On the other hand, if I was out shooting birds or wildlife, where I'm firing quickly and often, I would exceed 900 shots.

With my A6000, I shot through exactly two full batteries on Saturday - both drained down to the point that the battery warning had lit up red, and the camera actually shut down.  I came home with 1,590 shots...so I averaged 770 shots per battery charge.  That was heavy use - it was not quite as long as I've been able to push the NEX-5N, however, remember that I essentially could not use AF-C on the NEX-5N, and never did.  With the A6000, I was in AF-C mode for a vast majority of the day, testing the camera's tracking abilities...so the focus system was getting a workout.

I turn off my image review function, I turn airplane mode on, I turned off pre-focus, and I was switched to EVF only, rather than the auto mode switching between LCD and EVF.  I had sleep mode set to 1 minute.  I generally left the camera on the entire time, rather than powering down.

Hope that helps!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow