D600 bottom "vignetting" using flash faster than 1/160

Started Apr 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,079
Re: D600 bottom "vignetting" using flash faster than 1/160

Raffel wrote:

Hi guys,

Been shooting some indoor flash using strobes and I noticed that as I increase shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/250 (or either in FP) I'm getting "shadowy" areas in the bottom of my picture similar to what has been posted in this unsolved thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3508696

Considering i'm not using a lens hood and my strobes should be firing at around 1/700s, can any of you enlighten me on what else the problem might be?

Equipment used: Nikon D600, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, StudioKing FSKB400, Falcon Eyes RFA-DD4 remote.
Hope you can help!

Thank you in advance.

Ralf

As others have noted, the D600 tops out at 1/200 on the flash sync. And you'll get that but perhaps not with your specific triggers. Typically with inexpensive triggers there's a lag in transmission of the signal from the transmitter to the receiver. My first trigger set was a cheapie and it topped out at 1/160 with my Nikon D700 (which could do 1/320 with CLS and 1/250 with Pocket Wizards and Elinchrom Skyports).

If you don't want to go with Pocket Wizards, I believe that most of the TTL triggers should get you to 1/200.

The best resource is www.flashhavoc.com

I haven't checked to see if your trigger is there, but if not, Elvis may know about it and even suggest an alternative that will get you up to 1/200. Or you could be happy with the 1/160 or go with a sync cord from the camera directly to the light (you'd need an adapter atop your flash shoe with the D600 with a sync plug) and get 1/200.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow