Sailing with almost no wind but enjoying the Leica T

Started Apr 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
Paul20
Paul20 Senior Member • Posts: 2,637
harsh lighting conditions are good conditions

James Pilcher wrote:

I spend a lot of time in the Naples and Marco Island area. Those sky colors in most of the photos are very natural for a hazy humid day on the Florida gulf coast. The sky saturation for the crew shot, I think, is due to exposure; slightly underexposed compared to the other images. Also, the direction you point the camera can make a difference too.

These are obviously harsh mid-day conditions, hardly the best way to evaluate a camera's images. A cloudless sky while on the open water provides rather awful shooting conditions.

Jim,

I do not spend a lot of time in Naples or Marco Island but I believe you when you say the colours in the photos look natural. In fact when I saw the photos that was the first thing I say. Neutral, slightly 'metallic' looking. They are slightly cooler colours my Zeiss 25mm gave on an M9 in bright conditions.

The photos are sharp enough to get a sense of what the camera is capable of. For example the detail in the fabric in the sails in "Nice to Relax" is quite clear and i we can see the contribution of the lack of low-pass filter.

It could be argued that the harsh lighting is a good way to evaluate the camera's metering reliability and dynamic range. In particular with the shot of the crew shows good detail in the shadows despite the bright conditions.

Paul

Big sail

In your recollection, which sky colour was the real one ... or did it change for the "crew" photo?

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha a7R II Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow