Macro lenses longer than 60mm?

Started Apr 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
Stefan Kaben Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736
Re: Macro lenses longer than 60mm?

Matt_xyz wrote:

I'm currently a Canon DSLR user who does a lot of macro photography. My favourite macro lens is the Sigma 150mm as the working distance is great for dragonflies, butterflies etc.

I've recently had the opportunity to use the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and think it's a great camera for macro and am tempted to buy it. I've been using it with the Olympus 60mm macro lens but I find that this focal length isn't sufficient for my liking. I assumed that there would be longer macro lenses available, if not in the micro four thirds range then in the 'regular' four thirds range. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. It would appear that Sigma no longer makes its 105mm macro or its 150mm macro in a four thirds fitting.

Am I correct? I find it surprising that there are no macro lenses available that are longer than 60mm and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help offered.

My favorite, too, is the Sigma 150 f/2.8. I bought it for the E-3 and use it a lot on the E-M1, with excellent results. But you are correct that Sigma no longer makes the 150 for the 4/3 mount. Oly's own 4/3 lenses for macro don't go beyond the 50mm f2 with extension tube. So for 4/3, I think you are left with Sigma on Ebay or elsewhere, used.

I'm not knowledgeable about mft-3rd-party lenses. Also, I'm not sure if adapters are available for Canon lenses onto mft bodies. So I leave those possibilities to someone else.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow