Do you believe that some Canon lenses have the resolution ...

Started Apr 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: nah

bronxbombers4 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Silverback1988 wrote:

that could maximize 50 MP in FF,

The answer is NO. Digital sensor can get more and more pixels but hit bottle neck of physical glass. No lenses today can even maximize 36mp sensors in D800/E and A7R. The two best primes, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 and Sony FE 55/1.8 only have 29 mpix respectively out of 36mp sensor. The new Sigma 50/1.4 Art should have similar mpix. The other lenses have much less mpix on D800/E and A7R.

Keep in mind DxO does weird things with their PMPIX and so on.

Also that even if it might be a struggle for some lenses do much better near the edges, they might still do much better in the center.

If the amount of pixels are the same or even many times less, larger sensor resolves more details than smaller sensor (provided on the same QE) with the same lens or comparable lens when fit the subject into the same subject including center and edges. On the same sensor format, more pixels resolve more details that subject to the quality of lens, better lens can leverage more pixels.

Don't forget that a 7D is like 50MP FF equivalent and in it's aps-c crop area it pulls noticeably more detail in than a 5D3.

? How when fit the subject into the same AOV, 5D3 resolves much more details than 7D. I guess you mean shoot from the same position from the same distance, then you ended with two different photos that are not comparable and no labs tested in that way. I am sure 7D resolves more if you crop 5D3 photo to 7D's AOV but this is not in most people's usages from landscape, studio, to sports and most wildlife except in birding case that your lens is not long enough or you are able to move closer but serious birding guys use 800L (with 1.4x TC III if necessary) so they don't have to crop much.  When I shoot landscape, I use 24-70L II on 5D3 which I mean 24-70mm FL while I used to use Sigma 17-55/2.8 OS on 60D for a normal zoom FL.  I don't crop my 5D3 photos into 60D's AOV and then compare.  I used 500L in my Africa safari on 5D3 than fit animals perfectly in VF most times.  500L on 60D will be too 'long' most times and I am sure 500L on 5D3 will beats 100-400L at 400mm on 60D therefore I carried former set while left latter set at home (still owned 60D then), and carried 70-200L II on 1D3 as 2nd set of camera in the trip.

And don't forget that overall sharpness is based upon a formula involving both sensor and lens and it's not a linear boom the sensor it outresolved thing.

If all others are the same or comparable, the factors affect sharpness are in such sequence - sensor size, lens, amount of pixels such as 50mp MF > 50mp FF > 50mp APS-C, better lens natively designed on whatever sensor format always resolves more, more pixels always contribute to more but subject to quality of lens very much.

And don't forget that DxO also uses weird criteria to decide what a lenses best point is. For instance they list their PMPIX values for zeiss and canon 50mm at f/1.4!!!! Do you think those lenses really deliver peak sharpness across the field at f/1.4 (or even in the center for that matter)??

I pay more attention to detail sharpness | fieldmap in DXO test. MPIX number is the peak sharpness at specific aperture at specific focus length on a lens+sensor which is important but not entire picture. When DPR published a lens' test with DXO data, obviously they got detail test data from DXO that chose not publish to the public that is a shame such as ones below.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lens-compare-fullscreen?compare=true&lensId=sony_zeiss_fe_55_1p8_za&cameraId=sony_a7r&version=0&fl=55&av=2.8&view=mtf-ca&lensId2=zeiss_otus_55_1p4&cameraId2=nikon_d800&version2=0&fl2=55&av2=2.8

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow