ISO 12800 Q7 vs Nikon 1 V3 ISO 12800

Started Apr 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 47,805
ISO 12800 Q7 vs Nikon 1 V3 ISO 12800

So on one corner the Q7 ISO 12800 DNG with 01 prime lens at F3.2.

On the other the Nikon 1 V3 with the F1.8 10mm Prime lens at F3.2, a little further back to try to match the same visual area.

Um.. well... that was an interesting b*tchslap. I had to resize down the screen capture as it was on a retina display and the PNG would have been 12 megs. I wanted to use PNG to avoid further re-compression.

On the original 100% screenshot crop both are a little sharper, favoring the V3 a little. This is with the V3 resized down to match the Q7's resolution. AT 100% 18 megapixels, the V3 is a bit less sharp than shown in the resize but still clearly pulling ahead of the Q7.

However, for the purposes of comparing what the cameras give you for print or screen, it's more than fair to have the V3 to resize down to the resolution of the Q7 and whatever quality it gains from that. Completely fair.

At the lower ISO's the Q7 put up a better fight, but the resolution and "presence" (micro contrast) still favored the V3. Once ISO 1600 was hit, the Q started to lose some color in shadow areas while the V3 kept it more, though sometimes a little color noise crept in.

Pentax is known to do some noise reduction on the RAW file itself and it seems to show. I don't mind that as much as they are taking advantage of a very low level-early sensor capture data that would make it for LightRoom and other raw converters really hard to deal with, but I still rather have the option to turn that off.

Anyhow, just in the interest of showing the difference, here it is.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Nikon 1 V3 Pentax Q7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow