Does OPTICAL IS still make sense in mirrorless camera?

Started Apr 26, 2014 | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Freeman-Jo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Does OPTICAL IS still make sense in mirrorless camera?

I remember back when m4/3 came out, they all have slew of in-camera IS.  And for the most part, the cons are stuff like, they are slower and weren't as effective.  Fast forward to today, especially for interchangeable lens camera that has no optical viewfinder, I can see that putting the IS in the box could be better than in the lens.  One IS system for every lens attach to it, and the lens size can get smaller.  And since all the new camera in this genre are all EVF(even if it's optional, but LCD is basically an EVF), I doubt there still benefit to gain from using optical IS.  I post this in the EOS M especially for this reason.  I'm a canon EOS user(not M), but I'm also looking for the smaller camera also.  Sony a6000 look pretty nice, but I would much prefer if it's Canon, or if Canon would compete in that arena.  Since Canon still exclusively use optical IS, regardless of the camera size and class, I can hardly see Canon make that chance.  In the Powershot series I can see the argument that since the lens aren't removable, then there is no benefit to change to in camera IS, and it's easier to deal with the technology Canon already master.  But seriously which would have been better Optical IS or in-camera IS for EOS-M series that have no optical viewfinder?

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G7 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III +8 more
POLL
Yes
77.8% 7  votes
No
22.2% 2  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow