RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP 2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: Try the ECM-XYST1M

necamica wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

I'm surprised your ECM-XYST1M (who came up with that name?) picks up noise from the RX10.

I had an NEX-6 last year and found the internal mic picked the noise made by the 16-50mm Power Zoom lens. I got an ECM-XYST1M and it completely resolved the problem, being a directional mic.

Just so everyone is clear, there are actually 3 separate sources of noise that are being discussed on this thread:

1. The whirring motor noise on the RX10. As the OP, this is what I initially thought my problem was - but it was actually nothing to do with it.

2. Hiss from the amps - this is what my problem was.

3. The sound of the lens zooming.

Well, at least I am dealing with problem #1 and #2. Bigger issue is #2 as I can ignore #1 in most cases.

In my case, any hiss starts when mic level was set to about 16 or above. Noticeable hiss at level 22 or higher. Same goes to when I using external mic. I would like to know if my RX10 is normal or not. (I doubt it will go all the way to 29 without any hiss, though).

Yes, reducing the mic level does reduce the hiss - but it also reduces the signal so I found that really didn't help at all. I too experienced no improvement using an external mic - in my case the Zoom H1.

Did you check the samples earlier in this thread:

My 'problem' RX10:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxLLFMCS8jrCSWVvQ2ZVSnBveHM/edit?usp=sharing

Ed Form's 'normal', RX10:
http://www.theformsonline.com/pics/test.m2ts

The only issue with Ed's sample is there is not really anything audible in it to compare against the hiss. Although as he points out you can faintly hear the sound of his son snoring behind a closed door 30 feet away - the hiss in my RX10 was so bad it drowned out any background noise.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow