£5000 budget for full frame kit ?

Started Apr 24, 2014 | Questions thread
Virginia Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 826
Re: £5000 budget for full frame kit ?

That's a perfectly reasonable outfit, and the Nikon 610 is a solid camera. But, given what you've said you want to do ("I'd like to be covered for a wide range of subjects though birding and sports are not really my scene. More landscape, street, people, "arty-farty"), I'll ask the obvious question: why full frame?

Cameras with smaller sensors -- APS-C or m4/3 -- produce results more than adequate for the ways most people present their images; and those cameras are smaller, lighter, cheaper. The usual arguments for full frame -- shallower depth of field, better low light performance, greater ultimate resolution -- are persuasive for a few people, but you haven't indicated you really need those capabilities. Hence my question: why full frame? A number of threads in this forum have chewed over the issue; mybe you should read through a few of them before spending all that money.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica X Vario Leica M8 Pentax K-5 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow