RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
necamica New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Read the thread further

Just got one last week and play with it for some time.

First, I can hear the fan motor like sound (it is like purring) from mine.  It is not loud, but audible.  In fact, I was holding at my chest level and heard it for the first time - but it was dead quiet room.

Does my RX10 record this sound?  Yes, it does.  The factory default mic level was set to 26 and I think it was way too high.  First, I monitored with headphone and the sound from my camera can be heard easily.  When mic level was set to 20 or lower, I can still hear it but very faint.  At 16 or lower, I need to crank up the headphone volume to hear it.   Then, when I listen the recordings - they are much quieter than live monitoring.  I think mic level at 20 was fine - I can only hear when I crank up the volume really high.  I don't think I will go close to 26, though - it started to get little noisy..   I am still learning and figuring out the proper mic level for my recordings.

Anyway, the recorded sound is very low and it may not cause any problem in normal use.

necamica's gear list:necamica's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow