Started Apr 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 29,865
DOF is what it's all about.

Conor OBrien wrote:

drtmw wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

Abrak wrote:

I guess there is a general assumption with most lenses that stopping down from their maximum (as in widest) aperture by a stop or two increases sharpness. Now I am not really a pixel peeper and havent really noticed it my myself with most M43 lenses of which I have far too many.

So I am a little confused...

Stopping down is not something you do just for sharpness gains. Even with the limited DOF you get in this system, if you shoot at f1.8 all the time just because that is supposedly the sharpest setting, there's a good chance at least some of the subject(s) you are trying to capture will not be sufficiently sharp from front to back. Sometimes, that's what you want. Sometimes, not.

I rarely stop down beyond f5.6 with this system. By that setting I can do landscapes with near and far elements and have most of it in good focus at wider focal lengths. I stop a lens down to gain depth of field if I need it, not to gain sharpness.

I agree, I usually use f4-5.6 on most of my m4/3 lenses. I change aperture only for depth of field purposes (less or more).

Tom

What these guys said...

This Guy agrees with those guys.

It's all about depth of field.

In my kit lens days I seemed to mostly use f/5.6 or f/6.3 for daylight as it was easy to leave the settings there and get results that I liked.

Now grown up and have the 12-40/2.8 I started out thinking I should be chasing sharpness (so many people seem to think that is the only goal in photography !) so maybe f/4.0 can be my do-everything aperture, but depth of field and common sense intervened so now I'm back at f/5.6 for my usual daytime default A mode aperture.

I like to have images that look good to me and that mostly means sensible/suitable depth of field. Sharpness can be left to the pixel peeping hoards who apparently never get to enjoy their photography.

Regards... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow