Canon 7D to A7, A7r, or A7s for an architect?

Started Apr 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,032
Re: Canon 7D to A7, A7r, or A7s for an architect?

AngeloArch wrote:

I’m sick of waiting around for Canon to do something in a small body design and like what Sony has come out with in the A7 series. Do you think it’s worth waiting around for the A7s if I’m looking for a good camera for shooting architectural stills and would like a something more versatile than the limitations and chunkiness of Canon’s 7D for video? Or is the A7 sufficient if I don’t care and don’t need 4k for video? I'm not that concerned about the pixel counts for cropping stills. I don't have any Canon L glass, but do have some good primes and EF-S lenses that would be nice to use until there are more options for the A7 and perhaps when the prices on lenses come down a bit. A lot people recommend the GH3/4, but I've used the older models and hated the shutter lag for stills, so it's a no go for me.

The low light potential of the A7s is very intriguing...

That's why - if you're not in a hurry - I would wait for its (launch) price and availability - It's good to have choices...

On the other hand, by that time, the 'Ultra-wide FE Zoom' will already be available, a lens which will be welcome for architectural work, I guess...

Regarding video, for casual use (and IQ), I find for the time being the A7r sufficient; as for MFT's GH3&GH4, I'm afraid they are not in the same department when it comes to ("stills") IQ...

Thanks,

Angelo

-- hide signature --

As usual, and if possible, try (or rent) before buying - Your feeling and opinion is your best guide and friend...

Best regards,
Pedro

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow