Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 6,690
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Mickey67 wrote:

I am a Windows 8.1 user on a brand new Dell XPS13

I absolutely HATE Windows 8.1.

The fact that in the last few updates they are trying to make it look more like Windows 7 speaks volumes.

With Office 365 It is significantly less reliable than previous versions, I have just lost an important document because Excel just hung.

Have you seen the posts here on using an alternative interface like Classic Shell? Cures a lot of ills.

There's no doubt in my mind that a touch-screen interface is completely inappropriate for a computer that's intended for serious work. It's partly an attitude thing. We had a visitor today who could kindly be described as "scatter-brained". She was doing some interesting stuff with her iPad and iPhone that made some sense to me, but it then emerged that it was almost impossible for her to delete her photo collection to make room for a software update. Seems that Apple doesn't want to be responsible for losing photo collections. There must be a way other than deleting one-by-one, but if there is I couldn't find it easily. The same person is almost completely lost when it comes to using a PC for word-processing etc.

We use an iPad for recreation, travel and uploads of proper photos. Wouldn't want to do anything serious with it, though.

I've been intrigued by the progress of MS-Office. I invested heavily (time and money) in Office 94, which came on a bunch of floppy disks with actual printed manuals (a stack of them about a foot high). I did a lot of work with Office 94, also the 97 and 2002 updates, with very few problems.

Office 2007 seemed completely bizarre to me, but by that time I had retired from day-to-day PC wrangling. No doubt Office 365 is stranger still. My computers mostly have Office 2002 and I have no intention of changing them. I note that Excel 365 hung for you. I don't think that I've ever had a problem of hanging with earlier versions of Office. I used to do some fairly heavy-duty stuff with MS-Access and it was as solid as a rock.

End of rant. I never thought this thread would last so long!

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow