My first g1x mk ii photos
I bought a g1x mk ii yesterday and will chime in with my first photos and impressions.
I also have the original g1x and had paired it with an old Nikon hand strap of this style:
I moved the handstrap from the g1x to the mkii and found them to feel and handle nearly the same.
1. Very well built, solid feeling camera
2. Despite my disappointment at losing the rotating lcd, the movement of the new lcd seems somewhat better than I expected and I think I will become accustomed to it pretty quickly.
3. I do not like the a/v out cover. Mine opens okay but it does not close crisply. I hope that improves with time.
4. The camera does feel faster--how much I cannot really say yet.
5. I LOVE being able to select the focus point by touch.
6. I LOVE the range of the lens--and that it allows macro work.
That is about all I can comment on so far. I think the last two items alone were worth the upgrade for me.
My first g1x is still going even though it took a tumble once with a close-up lens attached--which snapped off the front trim ring. I reattached it with clear tape and it still works well--just not useful for macros anymore. I plan to give it to a friend who needs a camera and I hope it lasts for a long time.
I am particularly happy to not require an additional close-up lens with the mk ii version.
I still have a 40d with 100-400 lens for summer outdoor sports photography. Apart from that, I think this camera meets my photography needs in a nice compact package.
I work near an old telescope so it was the subject of some of my first photos (below). These were taken in Program mode.
|I am an Elephant by Bibix|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 5, E
|Mossy forest panorama by Jill Hancock|
from Your point of view
|Ship Moon and Stars by LJJohnston|
from For creative newbies only..