Password policy & consistency

Started Apr 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Freeman-Jo Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Password policy & consistency

Let's start off by saying I am a geek first, photographer later and I very appreciate all the in-depth reviews and your other works.  That doesn't mean we don't have disagreement as I have expressed my opinion about the site credibility in the past. (that read the non-existence of Canon 1D mark III review.)  Today I notice the site certificate have changed, possibly due to the heartbleed bug.  So I tried to change my password, it didn't like my old password.  But I didn't care, what different does it make, I gonna change the password anyway, whether it's password reset or password change.  Well, after I tried to make the password reset, I notice it only accept 30 characters maximum. (turst me I would use the max if it allow, I complained about google change the password limit from 127 to 100 also)  So I use the 30, after the site accept the new password, I tried to login with the new password.  It doesn't like my new password.  I tried reset again, that doesn't do any good either.  Then I notice, the login page only allow 20 characters!  Lesson learned, now I reset the password again to 20 characters.  So why the inconsistency?  Can we have an update on maximum password limit?  As a geek I do know rainbow table exist.  A 16 characters non-salt password hash will take minute to crack.  And yes I hope you individually salt the password.  And lastly, it's probably a good idea on password changing/reset page to let the users know the password policies, what's allow or disallow to use as the password.  If there is already a password policies expressed somewhere then I'm sorry I didn't read, but then again most people don't read ToS.

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G7 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow