What are your experiences with V1 or V2 as a main travel cam?

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
David A. Hamments
David A. Hamments Senior Member • Posts: 1,480
Re: What are your experiences with V1 or V2 as a main travel cam?

Jared Huntr wrote:

For years, I've always taken my dSLRs on vacation. This time, I'm considering taking the V1 on a vacation in the Mediterranean and Western European region. The main incentive is weight reduction. But my main concern is image quality and whether I will regret not having dSLR-quality pics to bring home. I typically shoot ultra-wide and tele so I intend to bring a 6.7-13mm and the 30-110mm (and 18.5 because of it's featherweight). In cases where image quality is critical, I will have my Ricoh GR pocket camera with APS-C sensor but that is only 28mm.

Alternatively, I could take my Canon SL1 body+10-22mm for ultra-wide and the V1+30-110mm for tele in order to eliminate lens swaps on the V1.

So what are your experiences with V1 or V2 as a main travel cam when you had the option of a dSLR? I actually find the deeper depth of field more useful in candid people shots typically taken during vacations.

Hi Jared, I thought I'd chime in on this post after just reading it..... I've been through the same thought process as you and this past summer decided to leave my D7100 and D700 and lenses at home for a trip to San Antonio in the summer heat. I decided to take my V1 and a few lenses in a belt pack as we would be hiking and touring the city's waterways on foot. I don't regret the decision for a second.... here are 36 of my favourite photos from the trip. The V2 did a fine job in every situation thrown at it and as you know, it doesn't weigh much at all!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/sets/72157635129817496/

Cheers and good light, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow