Investing in a 6D or 5D Mark III

Started Mar 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,061
Re: Consider "bundle" with Pro-100 inkjet printer

xhypno402 wrote:
Abe's of Maine is a really bad retailer.

I've had ok experiences with AbesOfMaine, but it has been several years ago. You have to be able to say "NO" to their suggestions for batteries, filters, warranties, etc.

However, I would suggest considering purchase from a company that also offers the Canon Pro-100 inkjet printer, like Adorama, B&H, or Amazon. There is a $300 rebate for the $500 MSPR printer, but it is widely available for $400, including 13x19" paper, free shipping, and no local tax.

As long as you purchase the camera on the same order as the printer + paper, the rebate increases from $300 to $400. Canon basically throws in the printer and paper for free.
http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/AdoramaPro-100_30JUN14.pdf

I refill my ink cartridges, so this really, really works well for me. Otherwise, Canon oem ink at full retail will eat your wallet. Good sales on ink are relatively rare. The old gambit, "give away the razor handle, sell the blades for a high price." a'la King Gillette during the 1800's.

Caveat: many people find the learning curve of ink refilling to be steep, messy, expensive, and frustrating. I did, but that is behind me. YMMV. As a volunteer photographer, I can now give away letter size prints with an out-of-pocket expense of under 10¢ per sheet. Big fun.

If you don't want to tackle the learning curve of ink refilling, you can sell the NIB (new in box) printer on your local CraigsList. However, there are so many of them for sale that you may get $200 or less.

Adorama or B&H might match AbesOfMaine?

FWIW: I agree with another reply ... the OP isn't "investing" in a camera, but spending ... unless he is a pro, but I digress.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow