Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
David Whysong Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

TQGroup wrote:

David Whysong wrote:

This is pretty good bokeh, much as one might expect from a well-corrected lens. The blur circle is not edge-brightened, and it's noticeably better than the 35/1.4 Art.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contribute this post David. I appreciate both your effort and opinion.

Perhaps you may wish to look at the specific example I mentioned in my post (the fifth image down, centre column) from the Lens Tip example page...

Lens Tip Sigma 50 ART example 100% crop

Now, my eyes are not as young as they used to be and everyone has a legitimately different idea about "great" bokeh... but what I see here does not make my heart beat faster nor make my hand reach for my wallet!

Cheers Andrew

Apologies Andrew, I thought you meant the fifth image in the series, which was also in the middle column.

I wouldn't use the specular reflections from a car to judge bokeh of a lens; it's possible that the reflection itself is not point-like and that would produce asymmetric brightness, particularly in the blur circle above and in front of the rear wheel.

The wheel edges show a sharp edge because there is a high-contrast edge there, but insignificant depth in the structure of the car/wheel edge.

By the way, the Zeiss Otus bokeh is essentially identical aside from additional mechanical vignetting that causes its blur circle to be oblong rather than circular away from the image center. This is inevitable in highly-corrected lenses; you can't have high sharpness without correcting for spherical aberration. And spherical aberration is what determines the radial intensity profile of the blur, i.e. what is generally referred to as bokeh.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow