Binoculars for S. Africa

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
swalkeratvail Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Binoculars for S. Africa

All 3 of the top brands are outstanding. I think for the most part it comes down to personal preference for how they fit, how the ergonomics work for you, and how they render a scene (they are all a bit different).

One thing to point out is that the Swarovski 10x42 (and other sizes) have a characteristic known as "rolling ball" or "globe" effect (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_effect).  For the vast majority of people, this optical characteristic has no impact at all.  For a select few, it makes the binoculars unusable.  Before going the Swarovski route, you want to make sure you are not one of the select few.

The farther away the subject is, the more critical it will be to have optics that minimize chromatic aberration.  Look for the "EL" or "HD" designation.  They cost more, but are very much worth it.

I prefer 10 power over 8 power.  Many people prefer 8 power.

I prefer the largest objective lens size I can get, because most of my viewing is at dawn and dusk (for wildlife).  Of course, that makes the binoculars larger and heavier.  I use 10x50.

One consideration is that the incremental increase in optical result is very slight between the best binoculars in the $400 range compared to the $2,500 range.

I highly recommend you personally try out a variety to see what best works for you.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow