Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,475
Re: I like it after some customization

Austinian wrote:

malch wrote:

Well, when Microsoft launched Win 8, it was their choice to hype the heck out of Metro and their choice to ram it down users throats (even desktop users). They were warned very vocally by the preview users that it wasn't going to go down well. It didn't. They backed off a bit with 8.1 but even if you boot to desktop, it still tries to revert to Metro from time to time. Very annoying.

At the end of the day, the other non-Metro improvements (and I acknowledge there are some) simply don't justify the price tag associated with a Win 7 to Win 8 upgrade. Maybe it's okay for folks who pay a small ($30?) increment to buy a new system with Win 8 pre-installed. But I'm certainly not paying $100+ to upgrade my existing Win 7 Pro license to 8.1.

MS offered early adopters a cheap upgrade, $40 as I recall. I took a chance on that...then let it sit for months after I disliked the original forced Metro UI.

After discovering Classic Shell, I clean-installed Win 8 + CS. IMO, $40 was a reasonable price for the minor improvements.

I'm also frustrated than MS "wasted" a year or two of their mainstream Windows development effort on this dud.

That, I'm in emphatic agreement with.

And this frantic, piecemeal scramble to gradually patch together the return-to-desktop-UI, while still keeping the Metro fig leaf, has all the hallmarks of managerial confusion and lack of clear goals.

I'm not unhappy with what we have in Win 8.1u1, but it's been a really sad and ugly process to watch.

Agreed.

As Jaberwok says, there are useful enhancements in W8, but they've got drowned out at the reaction for Microsoft's massive own-goal of UI. It's a mistake to suggest that the same UI works on mouse/keyboard and touch interfaces, and it appears to be proving a mistake to say that a common apps development platform works across the range too.

It's hard enough trying to make apps that work equally well (and are equally usable and look good) on both smartphones and tablets (been there, done that, didn't like the T-shirt). But laptops/desktops are a whole different paradigm. Generally you don't want the same apps, and even where you do the requirements are pretty different, so common app development across the range is a bit of myth. I don't think it's going to happen very much. What's happening instead is that developers are designing apps for greater platform-independence, so Android and ios versions are possible. Windows on touch screen is just another platform. Desktop/laptop? Different model, different requirements, and probably different app (and quite possibly no requirement for the same app on desktop/laptop).

The irony: if Metro had been truly optional, people might have been more tempted to try it, instead of devoting all their energy to escape it.

Smart companies learn lessons from mistakes, but stupid ones never recognise their mistakes.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow