Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
malch Forum Pro • Posts: 13,915
Re: I like it after some customization

scrambler2 wrote:

It IS true that the very first version of windows 8 was forcing even the people who did not need the touch friendly interface to use it in too many cases on their desktop, and that WAS a mistake.

Well, when Microsoft launched Win 8, it was their choice to hype the heck out of Metro and their choice to ram it down users throats (even desktop users). They were warned very vocally by the preview users that it wasn't going to go down well. It didn't. They backed off a bit with 8.1 but even if you boot to desktop, it still tries to revert to Metro from time to time. Very annoying.

At the end of the day, the other non-Metro improvements (and I acknowledge there are some) simply don't justify the price tag associated with a Win 7 to Win 8 upgrade. Maybe it's okay for folks who pay a small ($30?) increment to buy a new system with Win 8 pre-installed. But I'm certainly not paying $100+ to upgrade my existing Win 7 Pro license to 8.1.

I'm also frustrated than MS "wasted" a year or two of their mainstream Windows development effort on this dud.

MS sowed and MS reaped.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow