Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
TQGroup
TQGroup Senior Member • Posts: 1,870
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

MattiD80 wrote:

Since there's so much bokeh fans in this thread, i'll go a bit against it. Yes i like bokeh. It means very interesting pictures. But this difference so many people try to show in bokeh pictures is often exagerrated. And if i gotta choose sharpness or bokeh i choose sharpness as a first definitely. And if bokeh reaches acceptable levels, then it"s definitely a win for me (good compromise). The Sigma 35mm F1.4 does exactly that for me.

It may be me, but everytime the bokeh fans try to say a lens is not good for bokeh, they show a picture with very very reflective elements (like a car). And then go 'but but bokeh isn't good'. First of all this is asking for problems, you should place your model not in front of a car, unless it's part of the story in the picture. Even Zeis Otus and Nikkor 85mm F1.4 (highly regarded bokeh lenses), i've seen many pictures ruined by highlight reflective elements. But nobody talks about it there. Yes it's a bit smoother, and masking the reflections better, but they are still there. And at the same time, when i take sigma pictures of flowers, with non reflective green backgrounds, the bokeh is absolutely amazing to me. Nothing distracting whatsoever. Nothing Nervous. Just very pleasing image to the eye.

What this tell me (personally), is that choosing the right background, is more important to get good bokeh, then getting the best bokeh lens.

Sigma at F1.4 with well chosen background = sharper then nikon, but barely worse bokeh.

Nikkor F1.4 with bad chosen background, will have a bit better bokeh, but not that much, and will lack that ultimate sharpness.

I take the first compromise any day. I have the 85mm F1.8 wich is supposed to be a very good bokeh lens also (apart from a few naysayers), and i really don't see much diff with the Sigma 35mm art. The only diff is that a longer focal length can achieve full mask (not even a hit of what is in the background) bokeh easier. And that bokeh is what i think so many ppl rave about in certain lenses. But an Art lens can just achieve it as well. Just gotta work a bit harder.

It's like Nikkor F2.8 70-200mm Versus the F4 version. There's a myth the first achieves better bokeh. Perhaps is very very slightly smoother, but few will see the difference. Then there's F2.8 wich many will think its the decisive factor. But there's also 'the closer you focus, the more background blur, appears'. And the F4 focusses closer. And when focussing closer, it can even achieve, smoother bokeh (source: Nasim Mansurov review). So both are just as good in bokeh. The 70-200mm F2.8 is just easier to get it (say if you are lazy).

And before you call me a Sigma fan, i probably won't buy the 50mm, cause i already have the Nikon 1.8 and I don't use 50mm that much. If they ever come with a 85mm F1.4 art with similar characteristics, it's a win for me though.

Thanks for some interesting and thoughtful analysis that adds to the debate. I guess the reason there is so much bokeh in this thread is because the title is "Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh.." 

While it is still very early days and, IMHO we haven't seen anywhere near enough detailed information to even begin to make an informed choice, I agree with other posters that this lens is more about sharp "image recording" than beautiful "image rendering". Please let me make it clear that one approach is neither better nor worse than the other. They are both different and both necessary for entirely different uses and usage. I also agree that it is great to have this choice!

So, bring on the good, impartial and detailed reviews with lots of good illustrative piccies...

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow