Thoughts on the GX7 & E-M10

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229
Re: Buying new camera one week before leaving on holiday?

Len_Gee wrote:

rare wolf wrote:

Why so critical?

Not critical. But notice so many people buy new camera(s) just before leaving on holiday. Like just one week before going on holiday as OP said?

Then have insufficient time to really know and understand new camera, new menu system, or special settings, test camera and lenses combo for best results. That is, unless operator has similar brand camera. Then maybe not as difficult to learn as another unfamiliar menu system.

As OP own many other cameras at his disposal, why another new camera to learn just before going on holiday?

But if OP could only wait until return from holiday to repurchase his first choice camera, the GX7, as OP said preferred Panny menu and handling over Oly. Why instead of compromise camera, M10.?

Plus, a practical reminder OP to carry extra batteries and instructional manual. As Oly have many intricate menu choices when setting up initial settings or use in specialized situations. For example, how to change settings quickly when needed. To avoid operator error whilst on holiday.

Thats all I mean to say.

Enjoy new camera, and post some pictures here when you return from holiday.

Disclaimer: I am old 80's and need extra time to know how to use camera.

I think you found 4 different ways to ask the OP why he chose to buy a new camera so close to his holiday in your first post, and now continued your query above; must be a slow day on the beach in French Polynesia, especially after having retired to a life of leisure at 48 (I'm jealous!), Len .

Question, are those tattoos in your photo? Just curious, definitely one of the more interesting photos posted in a user's profile that I've seen.

Back to the OP, quite a whirlwind experience going from GF3 to E-PL5 to GX7 to E-M10 in a bit over a week, and some interesting first blush observations. On Olympus menus, I still find them occasionally confusing after 7 years of using them, but have otherwise very much enjoyed 3 out of the 4 IL cameras I've owned of the brand (liked E-510, E-620, E-M5, disliked the E-PM1).

I await the OP's post upon return from his vacation, both the GX7 and E-M10 being good cameras, but the E-M10 and Pan 20mm seem made for each other as a very compact travel set-up. Hopefully he has the new 14-42mm compact zoom and the bargain 40-150mm to round out his vacation kit.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow