Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
Yes, Better than Windows 7...

Now that I have updated the original Windows 8 to 8.1 and made a few tweaks to the Navigation I like it. I almost never see the goofy Metro stuff and have eliminated almost all the Metro Apps. Start up is direct to my Desktop, and is fast.

Windows 8.1 makes a lot more sense than installing a 5 year old Windows 7 operating system. Windows 8 has the Storage Spaces feature which was originally used in Windows Server and now can be used by home users for much more flexibility in how the hard disk drives are managed. I have mine set up for speed using the "Simple" configuration, but there are other parity systems for varying degree of redundancy.

I will say however that I notice the odd bug in Windows 8.1 that I did not see in 8.0. It is not rock solid yet, but I'm sure will get there.

My only wish for improvement would be that Windows 9 allow for a 1 button or even automatic installation configuration for a desktop, keyboard, & mouse PC. There is simply no need to ever see that touchscreen Fisher Price stuff when you have a real computer to work on. Microsoft are having a hard time swallowing the non acceptance of the Metro junk, but I suspect quietly they have learned their lesson and will not make the same mistake with Windows 9. They can't afford to.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow