What are your experiences with V1 or V2 as a main travel cam?

Started Apr 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
jonathanj
jonathanj Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Take V1 and SL1

Jared Huntr wrote:

Alternatively, I could take my Canon SL1 body+10-22mm for ultra-wide and the V1+30-110mm for tele in order to eliminate lens swaps on the V1.

I would recommend this.

I have been travelling with the V1 + 10-100 (non-PD) and Samsung NX20 (APS-C sensor) with 12-24mm and find it the perfect combination, both cameras relatively lightweight and no changing lenses. Your SL1 and 10-22mm is a bit heavier, but not much, and the 30-110 is lighter (and sharper, apparently) than my 10-100. I have no real complaints about the V1 image quality, but there is a clear difference in the detail I can get out of the 20 megapixel APS-C sensor and the V1 sensor. (Shooting RAW, using Lightroom.) I have been out carrying only the V1 on days when I'm not really bothered about photography, but if I'm going to a new place for holiday I will take both.

That said, it depends on what you plan to do with the pictures, for small prints and web resolution jpgs it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Here's an example set where I swapped between the two cameras on google plus , downsized for web viewing. I doubt most people could tell which were the V1 and which the NX20. (More here) But if you don't mind carrying two cameras, I'd recommend doing so, just to be safe.

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Sigma dp1 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony Alpha a7R III +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow