Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
thelenspainter Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 Bokeh

gatorowl wrote:

Also, what is the significance of the bokeh being smoother near the center of the shot compared to edges? I guess it means that I could crop for better results, but I'd like to know what you see as the implication of the the non-uniform smoothness of background blur.

What it means is that the Sigma designers went for one particular compromise that gives higher peak sharpness over another which gives even smoother blur circles. The appearance of background and foreground blur is strongly influenced by the spherical aberration characteristics of the optical design. Push it too far towards smooth blur and the peak resolution will diminish. I think both the Sigma and Otus probably use floating elements to allow a good compromise of smooth blur and high resolution.

The appearance of the blur circles will always change towards the edge of the images unless one designs a truly oversized lends, because the path of photons close to the edge of the image is cut off by either one of the lens barrel or an internal lens component. This is called mechanical vignetting and yields out-of-round highlights and other effects.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Leica TL2 Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow