Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 6,669
Re: Love it - with a caveat

Roland Wooster wrote:

Windows 8.1 is the best OS from MS yet, well, the kernel at least. However, the interface is awful, worse than even Vista.

But there's a solution: with Windows 8.1 plus "Start8" from www.stardock.com (costs $5 after your first month's free trial) it's the perfect solution. I now have windows 7 look and feel with all the benefits of the Win 8.1 kernel.

There are several other free "Win7 menu replacement" options, one that I've tried is called "StartMenu8" however, it doesn't scale suitably on high resolution screens. Start8 does, and looks perfect on a 4K screen.

Valuable information.

The very fact that several competent solutions are available just underlines the deficiencies of the Microsoft product "as issued". As you say, the kernel seems to be very solid. With XP becoming obsolete, it's a fair guess that many upgraders to Windows 8.1 will run into difficulties.

In a way, I am reminded of Windows 95 and the implementation of "Active Desktop" with very little explanation of its purpose. As far as I could tell, the main effect was to make Windows unstable. At least you could disable it easily. The Inactive Desktop

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow