Focal Reducer Question

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,079
Re: Focal Reducer Question

Personally I think that focal reducers are more or less gearhound amusements rather than terribly useful, but I will not go so far as to say they might not help someone take a better picture sometime.

I did enjoy buying one and playing around with it, for the gearhound amusement of it, but it was clear that it wasn't going to help me take any better pictures.

Since I already owned a pretty full set of prime lenses, and for reasons of needing more dof than they could give me at their widest native opening, the FR wasn't really doing anything for me.  Given that, it just didn't fit with any unique value into my lens lineup.  Also, I didn't find that the $100 one I bought worked at the very wide end, where it might have added something, but where my corner to corner sharpness demands are greatest.  I'm not sure even the SB would do that, and anyway I now have a 12mm prime on order.

So, if buying and playing with one is going to be fun, then do it, but I would have modest expectations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow